Saturday, January 24, 2009

The people you meet...

Sometimes it seems like everyone you come in contact with hates their job. They are only in it for the paycheck. To some extent I understand. However, those people should not come in contact with customers. Every now and then you actually get to come in contact with people that seem to love their job. Those are the people I appreciate.



Yesterday we had a technician from Charter Cable come out to install a home telephone for us. We got tired of using our cell phones all the time. Our appointment was from between 8am and 10am so I was thinking Great I will be here waiting until at least noon for someone to show up. Not the case. The tech showed up at 9am. I was so surprised. He was friendly and chatty while he was working. He needed to go into the back yard so I had to put Juno in Chases room while he waited in the living room. I could hear him talking to Isa as I was calling Juno. Asking what she was watching on tv, telling her she had pretty eyes... of course Isa was eating it all up. Once Juno was in Chases room I let him know it was ok to come back and the three of us went into the back yard. When we moved into this house the tech from Charter would not run a cable from the back to Mandos computer so he did it himself. This left a very long orange cable running out the side of our house to the back and up the back wall. The tech this time saw it and asked what it was for. I told him it ran to the main computer in the house and he decided that it looked ugly. He tucked the cable behind the siding on the house all the way up the back wall and installed a box to cover all the conections that were showing. While he was doing all that Isa decided she needed to let the chickens out. The cable man was fascinated. Once he was done working in the back we were walking back to the door and he stopped and squatted down to talk to the chickens. It was really too funny. We talked about how much eggs cost and how many eggs our chickens produce every day. He may have not been interested but he acted like it. I think if the chickens were not afraid he probably would have picked one up to pet it. So, after all that we came back in and he finished wiring the telephone. He asked if we had a phone to use to test it so I got it for him. We used to have Vonage so our phone line was spliced to run through the computer also. When he saw the line he said it was ok, he would give us one of his. Other techs would have been rolling their eyes irritated they had to walk back to their truck to get another line. Not this one. He seemed happy to be able to help. Once everything was all wired up and working he thanked me for being so nice and left his number (not the 1800 charter number) in case we had any problems with the phone. It was such a nice change from the other people I have met that work for Charter.

On Thursday our neighbor came over and asked if we had any cats. Of course my reply was no since dealing with a cat box in not my favorite thing to do. He said he was wondering because there are three cats that have decided to make their home under his house and they howl all night long. He said he did not want to have them trapped if they were ours. I told him that we had seen the cats and just assumed they were his since they stayed next to his house. I let him know that we had a trap and would set it up to catch them that evening so neither one of us would have to deal with them anymore. Though they were living at his house they were using the bathroom at ours. It is really amazing how much cats like hotdogs. I carried the trap to the front of our house and sliced up some hotdogs for bait. About an hour later we had trapped a cat. I called Animal Control to come pick it up and they said they would send an officer out. 24 hours later they still had not come so I called again. I may not want to have a cat but I also do not want to keep it trapped without food or water. The lady that answered this time tried to find a record of my previous call but could not. So she re-reported it. Yesterday evening and Animal Control Officer came by to get the cat. This woman was wonderful. The cat had obviously never had any human contact flipping all over the place. The woman was gentle but firm with it. She was also very friendly with us. The last time we had to call for an animal pick up the person was rude.

I am so glad to have been able to come in contact with some positive people.

No comments: